Monday, August 25, 2014

I really wanted to post again prior to school starting.  I had these grand plans to talk about how we deal with the anxieties of a new school year, but that obviously didn't happen.  The response to my first post has been overwhelming and I have had several people contact me to ask me about how our son was diagnosed with dyspraxia...I seriously got chills when I read the first message.  I plan to talk about that in the very near future (promise!) and will be glad to answer any and all questions about where to seek help, but for today, I have to write what's in my heart. 

To be perfectly honest, it's not been a very good day.  It started out well enough.  We managed to get out of the house and to the high school and middle school on time which is a HUGE accomplishment.  I will save stories of our morning struggles for another post, but suffice it to say, "It ain't pretty!".  Anyway, this is the first year Aidan has been excited about starting school.  I am pretty sure it was for purely social reasons but, hey, I'll take it.  We visited the high school last week for open house and we walked to all of his classes (several times).  It was a very exciting time!  We spent hours last night organizing school supplies.  I took the obligatory picture at 6:20 a.m. and he was even smiling a little.  I was optimistic!  So, when he got in the car this afternoon, I wasn't prepared for, "I hate high school!".  My heart sank and the anxiety I had tried to suppress all day was almost a full-blown panic attack.  Remember when I said that it's tough...that was an understatement.  We tried to plan for every situation and every difficulty, but I have to think I wasn't as proactive as I should have been.  It's easy to forget how dyspraxia can impact every aspect of life (especially with regards to school), so I wanted to share this diagram. 


Pinner said - Oh how I do love this diagram!  Going to copy it and give it to my parents that struggle with this concept of dyspraxia!  

I know this wasn't the most uplifting thing you've read today, but I promised myself that if I took the time to write it all down, I would be honest and real.  I wish I could say that I reacted in a positive way.  I wish I could say that I didn't get frustrated when he told me he didn't write anything down or that he has no idea what the teacher said because the "words got all muddled up", but I can't.  In the words of one of my favorite characters, Anne Shirley..."Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?". 

1 comment:

  1. Heather, I'm hoping it will be better tomorrow. I'm homeschooling my daughter who started kindergarten and it didn't go exactly as I imagined either. So I guess I will take Anne ' s attitude myself. I whether it's dyspraxia or another condition a sense of humor and positive thinking are two of the most essential characteristics to get from day to day.

    ReplyDelete